Olli subridens hominum sator atque deorum
vultu, quo caelum tempestatesque serenat,
oscula libavit natae, dehinc talia fatur;
"parce metu, Cytherea, manent immota tuorum
fata tibi; cernes urbem et promissa Lavini 5
moenia, sublimemque feres ad sidera caeli
magnanimum Aenean; neque me sententia vertit.
hic tibi (fabor enim, quando haec te cura remordet,
longius et volvens fatorum arcana movebo)
bellum ingens geret Italia populosque ferocis 10
contundent moresque viris et moenia ponet,
tertia dum Latio regnantem viderit aetas
ternaque transierint Rutulis hiberna subactis."
(Excerpt from the Aeneid, available online here: Book 1. )
1. Who is the olli of line 1?
2. What do we learn about Jupiter (line 2)?
He brings the storms.
His smile brightens the cosmos.
He remains detached from the universe.
He rages through the heavens.
3. What is the correct translation of manent . . . tibi
Your fate will remain unmoved for you.
Warn your family of your unmoving fates.
The fates of your family remain unmoved for you.
Since your fates have been unmoved, your family will
4. What is the correct scansion of the first four feet of
5. What is the urbem in line 5?
6. What is the allusion Lavini (line 5)?
the land of Italy
the Trojan War
Aeneas's future wife
Aeneas's future daughter
7. What will be the outcome of Aeneas's life (lines 6-7)?
His fame will reach the stars.
He will be deified.
The gods on high will bless him.
He will knock down enemy walls as heaven demands.
8. What allusion is the poem making in line 9?
the gods' supernatural powers
the scrolls of the Fates
the spinning of the Fates
the unknowable future
9. How may we best characterize Aeneas's future
actions in lines 10-11?
warrior and lawgiver
peacemaker and father
pacifist and lover
fighter and survivor
10. What figure of speech occurs in line 11?
11. What figure of speech occurs in line 12?
12. Although it is not stated explicitly, what may we
conclude about Aeneas (lines 12-13)?
He will only have three years in Italy.
He will usher in a Golden Age.
The Rutulians will make him their king.
He will make peace with Juno.
13. What figure of speech occurs in line 13?
synchesis (interlocking word order)