"vade age, nate, voca Zephyros et labere pennis
Dardaniumque ducem, Tyria Karthagine qui nunc
exspectat fatisque datas non respicit urbes,
adloquere et celeris defer mea dicta per auras.
non illum nobis genetrix pulcherrima talem 5
promisit Graiumque ideo bis vindicat armis;
sed fore qui gravidam imperiis belloque frementem
Italiam regeret, genus alto a sanguine Teucri
proderet, ac totum sub leges mitteret orbem.
si nulla accendit tantarum gloria rerum 10
nec super ipse sua molitur laude laborem,
Ascanione pater Romanas invidet arces?
quid struit? aut qua spe inimica in gente moratur
nec prolem Ausoniam et Lavinia respicit arva?
naviget! haec summa est, hic nostri nuntius esto." 15
(Excerpt from Vergil, Aeneid, available online here: Book 4.)
1. Who is being addressed in this passage?
2. If we assume the use of Zephyros to be symbolic,
for what does it stand (line 1)?
3. What is the addressee being ordered to do in lines
leave Carthage immediately
fly to Carthage
drive Aeneas to break off with Dido
set sail on the western wind
4. Identify the form adloquere (line 4).
perfect active indicative
present active imperative
future active indicative
present active infinitive
5. Who is the genetrix (line 5)?
6. What is the reference Graiumque . . .armis (line 6)?
the eventual conquest of Greece by Rome
the sparing of the Greeks Sinon (at Troy) and
Achaemenides (from the Cyclopes)
the vengeance wrought at Troy with captured Greek
Aeneas's rescue from certain death on the battlefields
7. Why is regeret an imperfect subjunctive (line 8)?
8. To what well-known facet of Roman life does
totum . . . orbem (line 9)?
9. What does Jupiter's use of Romanas arces reveal
He guards his temples and worship fiercely.
He wishes for Ascanius to found Rome.
He envies Roman piety.
He exists outside of time.
10. What is the correct scansion of the first four feet of
11. What is the correct translation of naviget
Let him sail.
He is sailing.
He will sail.
He would sail.
12. Identify the form esto (line 15).
13. What is Jupiter's main concern in this speech?
that Dido has misled Aeneas
that Carthaginians cannot be trusted
that Aeneas is wasting time
that his worship is being neglected